Date: 9/22/19 4:59 pm
From: stuarthealy <stuarthealy...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: September 22, 2019 - Sierra Vista EOP
Sierra Vista EOP; Sunday, September 22, 2019

Erika was AWOL at the AZFO meeting so I'll take a crack the report.

A dozen folks (mostly locals and one overseas visitor from Belgium) tramped around the impoundments,

fields and scrub this morning and enjoyed some decent birding. Including what has become a regular

nocturnal session, we recorded 91 species. I wasn't sure that we would get COMMON POORWILL this

week, but a couple of birds were spontaneously calling at 5:30am with a half moon directly overhead.

Several CRISSAL THRASHERS were also calling early and a few lingering YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS

vocalized and were not heard later in the morning.

Highlights of the outing were 3 DICKCISSELS at the Moson Road Access and a first of season MERLIN.

We didn't get much rain this past week and almost all of the shorebird habitat is gone. Consequently, shorebird

diversity and number of individuals were down today (funny how that works). Best bird was a lone

BLACK-NECKED STILT, decidedly uncommon at the EOP.

Migrant land birds added to our total considerably, with the least common species being HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER.

A couple of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS were also season firsts as were a few singing GREEN-TAILED TOWEES.

Stuart

Stuart Healy

Sierra Vista, AZ.

Forgotten, but not gone

FULL LIST: (if you want numbers, look at eBird).

Cinnamon Teal

Northern Shoveler

Gadwall

Mexican Duck