Date: 9/22/19 4:26 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (22 Sep 2019) 52 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 4 4
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 52 26972 26972

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Hugh Kent, Maryse Gagne

Observers: Hugh Kent

Visitors:
As it was the last day of the Hawk Festival, we want to thank all who
visited us today, all 300 of you! Thank you for your kind words, your
support, and your amazing questions. Sorry we didn't have more hawks to
show you, but that's nature! Come back anytime to visit!

Weather:
Once again a hot and humid day on the tower, with temperatures rising to 31
degrees Celsius. Clouds came in and out all day and the wind blew from the
South-West.

Raptor Observations:
Once again, a slower day for us on the tower, with a daily count of 52
raptors. We mostly counted American Kestrels (21) and Sharp-shinned hawks
(26), yet in the last 2 minutes of our count a juvenile Northern Harrier
came for a visit.
We were also entertained by a juvenile Peregrine Falcon who chased many
Cormorants in the marsh. Unfortunately, we could not count it as a migrant
but it definitely made our day!

Non-raptor Observations:
We had a relatively slow day for non-raptor species as well, but we are
seeing more species of ducks on the marsh, such as Northern Shovelers,
Gadwalls, American Widgeons, and Northern Pintails.
We counted another wave of Tree Swallows coming through the marsh, a good
number of Northern Flickers, Cedar Waxwings, American Goldfinches, and some
dragonflies. Monarch numbers seemed to have tappered out for the time being
as we only counted 3 butterflies all day.

Tree Swallows: 136
Purple Martins: 5
Northern Flickers: 10
Cedar Waxwings: 42
American Goldfinch: 50
Black Saddlebags: 45
Common Green Darner: 10
Monarch: 3

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60035705

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting another nice and warm day but with winds from the
West for a change. We hope this might bring us a few more kettles of
Broad-winged hawks, more Sharp-shinned Hawks and Kestrels, maybe a few more
Red-tailed Hawks. We are also waiting for the start of the Blue Jay
migration, maybe Westerly winds will start it.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<e35a8d6683e5e547d9ff3f65e7746f54...>