Date: 9/22/19 2:41 pm
From: kuschmanfred <makusch...>
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Chipping Sparrows, and other along Putah Creek
I spent about two hours in my blind at the warbler bathing and drinking spot upstream from my house and found it busier than it has been in the last 2 weeks. The traffic was especially heavy between 10:30 and 11o’clock when birds were present continuously.

The most numerous and steady visitors were, as is to be expected at this time in the migration cycle, Yellow Warblers, both adults and juveniles. But the variety of additional birds was also impressive:
some Wilson’s and Orange-crowned warblers,
2 Black-throated Gray Warblers ( I had not seen any for quite some time),
several Yellow-rumped Warblers,
a White-breasted Nuthatch,
a Pac. Slope and a Willow flycatcher,
a Bewick's and a House wren,
a flock of Lesser and American goldfinches,
a small flock of Bushtits,
a male Western Tanager, still bright but with the red on its head fading,
a Spotted Towhee,
a White-crowned Sparrow,
a number of Chipping Sparrows,
a Lincoln’s Sparrow
a Black Phoebe that has claimed this spot year-round for several years

And the surprise of the season, a (first-year?) male Rose-breasted Grosbeak, a first for me along my stretch of the creek. While it remained partially hidden and did not come down to the water, I was able to capture several views with my camera that show clearly a pink blush on its breast and , when it was stretching, very obvious pink underwing coverts.

As is often the case, a Belted Kingfisher perched nearby ambushing crayfish in the shallow water.

Manfred Kusch
South bank of Putah Creek
3 miles W of Davis