Date: 9/22/19 1:51 pm
From: Monacell, Peter L. <plmonacell...>
Subject: Re: Lesser Black-backed Gull at SelecTurf Sod Farm in North Jefferson City
Two quick things on this:

-I just went by on my way south again, and the gull is still present and easy to spot, as of 3:50pm. But don’t look from US-63, since that isn’t safe.

-It is a Lesser Black-backed Gull.

Good birding everyone,
Pete

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 22, 2019, at 1:41 PM, Monacell, Peter L. <plmonacell...><mailto:<plmonacell...>> wrote:

All,

Yesterday afternoon, while driving home from Columbia, I spotted a large gull in a pool on SelecTurf Sod Farm in North Jefferson City (Callaway Co). Specifically, the bird was on the west (river) side of US-63 at the northern edge of the sod farm. I drove there to get a better look, then called Brad Jacobs and Edge Wade, who was already birding with Betsy Garrett near the area. The four of us watched this gull for a long time, and Brad and I took many photos.

First-cycle large gulls are difficult, and the ID has been pretty strenuous, but we landed on Lesser Black-Backed Gull. We will, of course, send the photos out to see if that’s where the ID ends up.

As of noon today, the gull is STILL present and eating a lot of stranded fish.

Here’s my checklist with photos and directions:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60026162

Good birding everyone,
Pete

Pete Monacell,