Date: 9/22/19 11:47 am
From: <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Stilt Sandpipers at Baskett Slough NWR
Hi Roy & all,

Nice to hear Barb Bellin's name come up, I haven't heard from her or Jerry in some years.

In addition to here earlier record of a Stilt Sandpiper at Baskett Slough NWR, there was at least one other bird at Morgan Lake around 1999 or 2000, also in early fall. I can't remember who found it but I remember going out there to look for it (with Jamie Simmons?) and running into Julie Fukuda on her way back from looking for it. We didn't manage to see that one but there were other folks who had better luck..

Joel

From: Roy Gerig <roygerig...>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 17:24:13 -0700
Subject: [obol] Shorebirds at Morgan Lake

I have not been able to get out since I was there 2 days ago. It seems no
one has seen the Stilt Sandpiper again. It was not a Pec or Sharptail that
I saw which to me would be impossible to confuse or conflate with Stilt,
but some might not agree. There has been a Pec seen there time to time in
recent weeks. Not that anyone has expressed doubt on the Stilt I saw on
the 19th, just that no one else saw it. It was a Stilt Sandpiper. I doubt
there have been many or any records of Stilt Sandpiper in Polk Co. We have
had 3 in Marion that I have seen past 30 years.
Roy Gerig Salem OR

From: Roy Gerig <roygerig...>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 17:45:39 -0700
Subject: [obol] I just remembered it

I wrote a few minutes ago, about Stilt Sandpiper in Polk, and I felt
something was wrong when I said maybe never. I just remembered that on Sep
9, of some year in the late 1970s, Barb Bellin found one at Morgan lake and
I got to see it with her later in the day or the next. Barb is not an
active birder now, but she was an outstanding birder around Salem, and we,
including Patti Bernardi, Jack Corbett, Walt Yungen, Steve Dowlan and
others called what is now Detroit Flats, we called it Bellin Flats. Barb
and I used to compete for the biggest home county lists, I lived in Polk
Co, She in Marion. Pretty sure she has the first record of Stilt Sandpiper
in Polk Co, although the Baskett Slough Refuge Manager at the time, I am
blanking on his name, had some weird bird records, including, Yellow Rail
or Least Bittern, one
Roy Gerig Salem OR

Join us on Facebook!