Date: 9/22/19 11:38 am
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Warblers and Blue Ridge Parkway this weekend
All – I was able to get out and bird along the Blue Ridge Parkway between RT 60 (Buena Vista) and north to RT 56 (Vesuvius) and to McCormick’s Farm (Raphine) this weekend. As one would expect, birds were scarce but when I found a feeding flock, there were lots of birds and many species. On Saturday I found two feeding flocks along the P’way. The first, near mile post 43 (about 2 miles north of RT 60), had about 50 Cedar Waxwings who were fly-catching from the tops of the trees. In that area there were Blue-headed Vireos, Pine Warblers, one Black-throated Blue Warbler (female), Titmice, Carolina Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, and Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers. I also saw a single Nighthawk flying along the ridge line. The second mixed feeding flock was near the pull off just north of MP 43. At the pull off there were 6-7 Scarlet Tanagers, 2 Cape May Warblers, several Black-throated Green Warblers, Pine Warblers, Blue-headed Vireos, Redstarts, and at least one unknown warbler – perhaps a Pine or maybe a Blackburnian (even with photos I’m not sure). After that pull off I saw/heard very few birds to RT 56. I headed down to McCormick’s Farm – it was quiet, but there was one Ruby-throated Hummingbird feeding on jewel weed along the Mill Creek nature path. Otherwise the only other thing of interest was a pair of Wood Ducks on the back pond.

This morning (Sunday) I headed back up to the Parkway. At the first pull off less than one mile north of RT 60 there were a number of birds. There were 6 warbler species; Black-and-white, Black-throated Greens, Pine, Chestnut-sided, Tennessee, and Redstarts. In addition, there were 3 vireo species – Red-eyed, Blue-headed (many) and Yellow-throated. Also there were Towhees, Downy WP, Pewees, an unseen and unidentified thrush – probably a Wood Thrush, Cardinals, Titmice, Carolina Chickadees.

I’ve posted some photos on Flickr, if you are interested: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmibiology/

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept