Date: 9/22/19 11:35 am
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: A few fall birds on Kessler Mountain, Fayetteville
A couple of friends are working on a botanical survey on Kessler Mountain in Fayetteville. The spot is a slope above Finger Lane where Doug James and his family lived many years ago. I imagine half a century ago a young Professor James studied birds in the same places we visited this morning. Most interesting to me were Wood Thrushes. I saw three birds in one spot; two for sure were Wood Thrushes. In same area, a male Hooded Warbler. Yellow-throated Vireos are still singing. We got up to one spot with a sandstone ledge. A detached sandstone slab had some fascinating fossils – messages about life some 300 million years ago. Trying to understand time like that is beyond me – “above my pay grade” as we used to say in the Forest Service. Here is an eBird list for this morning, including a lousy Wood Thrush image: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60026966.

Join us on Facebook!