Date: 9/22/19 7:53 am
Subject: Hefner Gap the last few days
Didn't go out today but birded Hefner the last three days - two of which
were with two good birders from the Raleigh area -Nan and Fleeta, sometimes
joined by
local birder Gordon. Except for an inclement day (where we still saw a few
good birds) we had very good birding at Hefner and would add a few species
at
the nearby Orchard at Altapass road. As is typical with Hefner the action
starts early. We averaged 11 Warbler species (good looks). As is typical
with Hefner,
you may get that approximate number the next day but with a few different
Warbler species..We also saw Summer as well as Scarlet Tanagers, a Baltimore
Oriole, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Blue-headed, Yellow-throated and White-eyed
Vireos (I had Red-eyed and Philadelphia a few days before), Red-tailed
Hawk, Ravens, etc
The virtue of Hefner is consistency and close looks rather than a huge
Warbler species count on any one day. As to many species, a good number of
individual birds.

We also enjoyed late summer wildflowers including Evening Primrose, Bladder
Campion, several types of Astor, Spiderwort and the related Day Flower,
Wild Sunflower, Green-headed Coneflower,
etc. The Bull Thistle and Snakeroot Flowers attracted several species of
Butterflies, including Monarchs, Tiger Swallowtails, a Buckeye, Spicebush
Swallowtails, a Pipevine
Swallowtail and Great Spangled Fritillaries. Ah, the Southern Appalachians!

Join us on Facebook!