Date: 9/22/19 7:08 am
From: Matthew Dodder <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Red-breasted Nuthatches close to the bay
On yesterday’s field trip to Ulistac with my Palo Alto Adult School birding class we heard two RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES that I neglected to mention in my post. One was near the native garden in the larger oaks, and a second was in the eucalyptus grove near the #5 marker.

We also hear the distinctive “shreeep” of a HERMIT THRUSH in the native garden.

I had also heard another RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH across from our home in Mountain View earlier in that morning. We have them here at home only occasionally, and always in the tall conifers. Perhaps this will be a good year for the species away from the hills.

Matthew Dodder

Matthew Dodder
Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society