Date: 9/22/19 12:17 am
From: Tim Janzen <tjanzen...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Black-eared Bushtit and OBRC Report
Dear Chuck,
The OBRC reviewed this situation and elected not to review Black-eared Bushtits in Oregon. The thinking is that this morph is not currently a candidate for splitting. It appears that the plumbeous subspecies may be black-eared in selected individuals due to the expression of recessive genes. The subspecies that are black-eared in Mexico (dimorphicus/melanotis) are very unlikely to be natural vagrants to Oregon. To see a list of the subspecies that the OBRC is currently accepting reports for see https://oregonbirding.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/reviewlistnov2018.pdf.
Sincerely,
Tim Janzen
Portland