Date: 9/21/19 5:47 pm
From: Roy Gerig <roygerig...>
Subject: [obol] I just remembered it
I wrote a few minutes ago, about Stilt Sandpiper in Polk, and I felt
something was wrong when I said maybe never. I just remembered that on Sep
9, of some year in the late 1970s, Barb Bellin found one at Morgan lake and
I got to see it with her later in the day or the next. Barb is not an
active birder now, but she was an outstanding birder around Salem, and we,
including Patti Bernardi, Jack Corbett, Walt Yungen, Steve Dowlan and
others called what is now Detroit Flats, we called it Bellin Flats. Barb
and I used to compete for the biggest home county lists, I lived in Polk
Co, She in Marion. Pretty sure she has the first record of Stilt Sandpiper
in Polk Co, although the Baskett Slough Refuge Manager at the time, I am
blanking on his name, had some weird bird records, including, Yellow Rail
or Least Bittern, one

Roy Gerig Salem OR

Join us on Facebook!