Date: 9/21/19 5:08 pm
From: Nancy Collins <nancy...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: tanagers and 'Roger's Red' grapevine
That would be the cultivar 'Roger’s Red’ which was found in Sonoma County by the esteemed horticulturist, Roger Raiche.

Through DNA analysis, 'Roger’s Red’ was determined to be a cross between our native Vitis californica and Vitis vinifera ‘Alicante Bouschet’, a European wine grape. https://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/vitis-rogers-red/

This is a great plant for the birds, the bees and me. Each grape contains a large seed but the fruit’s deep flavor is delicious and complex.

Nancy
Soquel, CA

Begin forwarded message:

From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Of tanagers and a sparrow id question (with photos)
Date: September 21, 2019 at 4:00:12 PM PDT
To: MBB Monterey Bay Birds <mbbirds...>

Hi birders,

This morning at our home in Soquel we had at least 4 and possibly as many as 6 WESTERN TANAGERS eating the native California Grapes in our garden. (Nancy tells me that the scientific name of the grape is Vitis californica, with the common name 'Rodger's Red' for the plant.) A few photos:

AMERICAN ROBIN and WESTERN TANAGER face-off:
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/documentary/robin_with_2_tanagers_190921a.jpg
(there are 2 tanagers in the frame.)

WESTERN TANAGER chowing down on grapes:
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/orioles_tanagers/tanager_western_190921a.jpg

After photographing the tanagers for a while, I finally left to go to the UCSC Farm and Garden. At UCSC another 3 or more WESTERN TANAGERS appeared, also chowing down on fruit:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/orioles_tanagers/tanager_western_190921b.jpg

But what sent to UCSC Farm and Garden to begin with, was a SPARROW that I saw last weekend. Las week, I thought it was a non-breeding chipping sparrow, but now, I think it may be a clay colored. A few less than ideal photos of this bird:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/odd/sparrow_190921a.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/odd/sparrow_190921a.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/odd/sparrow_190921a.jpg

I'm not 100% convinced, I'm leaning towards CLAY-COLORED, but a CHIPPING would be more likely.

Your id thoughts on the sparrow?

Pete Sole
Pondering Sparrows in Soquel, CA