Date: 9/21/19 4:19 pm
Subject: Re: Bird decline
Hi Charlie,

Yes it helps. There are two thoughts on the best approach. One is to buy Offsets with a company that invests in projects in developing countries that help protect local resources or sequester or avoid carbon. The second general approach is to buy Offsets or even better Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) here in the US. This helps finance renewables at home by allowing the suppliers to make a little better rate of return on their investment. Many people like to look for projects that wouldn’t happen without support like projects on Native American lands.

I have to say while I buy RECs, it is much better if you can personally sign up for a community solar farm. Check with your provider and don’t worry about being told you have to go on a waiting list as this helps drive additional capacity and here in SC the new Solar Freedom law requires all providers to add capacity. If you can’t sign up for community solar see if you can select green power from your provider. It will probably increase your rate by about 1 penny a KWH. I buy RECs to offset the remainder or my power usage after taking off for my providers renewable % + nuclear power % (non-carbon %) and my community solar farm. It’s usually only about $10/month.

Here is a domestic REC & Offset company which I have used for my energy offset and am satisfied with:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.terrapass.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=2EkD8jD0wuALhjCxj0ek2CY53E15ImRnUV5RhQgB9jw&s=-1Zo250Rw1hiV3AKQoh-DRSbb-brWKyfbF8eNN5W-fQ&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.terrapass.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=2EkD8jD0wuALhjCxj0ek2CY53E15ImRnUV5RhQgB9jw&s=0vuJq-o-GzPUfMfIdP1nCvRwpkle397Hd5s-0G-HJd4&e= >

Here is a company that invests in developing country projects and I use for air-travel offsets:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.atmosfair.de_en_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=2EkD8jD0wuALhjCxj0ek2CY53E15ImRnUV5RhQgB9jw&s=EmeksWpfCwqq-W5GlzUoQ5sD4zamXGRfq46cZz3rwuU&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.atmosfair.de_en_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=2EkD8jD0wuALhjCxj0ek2CY53E15ImRnUV5RhQgB9jw&s=EmeksWpfCwqq-W5GlzUoQ5sD4zamXGRfq46cZz3rwuU&e= >

You can find many more companies online. Just look for how they accredited and verified. There are also reviews online.

Best,
Gary Harbour
Chair
The Climate Reality Project,