Date: 9/21/19 6:21 am
From: Pam Otley <pamo1954...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sharp-tailed Sandpiper ?? - Morgan Lake
Thanks, Alan. I realized I would have been more accurate to title my email
"Sharp-tailed Sandpiper ??" as most of' the details on the bird that
puzzled me were features that I didn't think matched Pectoral. (posture,
breast, and white above and below eye making the face appear quite white in
some views). and led me to think Sharp-tailed.

Early responses are weighted toward Pectoral Sandpiper.

Pam

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 5:55 AM Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:

> Pics are distant but I think probably an imm Pectoral.
>
> Alan Contreras
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> <acontrer56...>
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com
>

> On Sep 20, 2019, at 10:40 PM, Pam Otley <pamo1954...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I visited Morgan Lake in Basket Slough NWR this evening. I first thought
> there were no birds but then they started flying in. I scoped the lake bed
> from the road, picking out the ongoing juvenile Ruff, first reported by Roy
> Gerig. It was in the east side of the lake. I then walked down to the edge
> of the lake bed and worked my way around the south side. There was a
> Pectoral Sandpiper at the west side pool. More and more Long-billed
> Dowitchers kept flying in to the west pool area. I counted 62 before I
> left. As I was scoping the peeps on the mud on the east side, I picked out
> a slightly larger bird that at first I thought was a Pectoral Sandpiper. As
> I watched it feeding, it just seemed different in its posture and
> movement...not as upright as the PESA. It also didn't have the distinct
> border between the breast wash of color and the white belly. Though quite
> far away, I could sometimes see the white supercilium and rufous cap. The
> back and wings also appeared brightly colored, much more so than the PESA.
> I have concluded it is a juvenile Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.
>
> See my eBird list for my distant photos that I hope you-all can make out
> details. I have not seen many Sharp-tailed Sandpipers so if I am off the
> mark am interested in your comments.
>
> It was quite beautiful out there with the sun going down. The grand finale
> was comprised of the Peregrine appearing and diving down on dowitchers with
> a dramatic "whoosh", causing them all to take flight. All escaped and
> circled back to where they had been.
>
> eBird list: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59966588
>
> Happy migration birding,
>
> Pam Otley