Date: 9/21/19 6:12 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Eurasian Wigeon (2 Douglas)
Rufous Hummingbird (1 Benton)
Broad-billed Hummingbird (4 Harney)
Hudsonian Godwit (14 Lane)
Ruff (6 Polk)
Baird's Sandpiper (1 Klamath)
Buff-breasted Sandpiper (1 Polk)
Parasitic Jaeger (1 Klamath)
Forster's Tern (1 Washington)
White-faced Ibis (6 Lane)
Red-tailed Hawk (calurus/alascensis) (1 Malheur)
Lewis's Woodpecker (1 Benton)
Hutton's Vireo (1 Harney)
Clark's Nutcracker (1 Benton)
Purple Martin (2 Douglas)
Lapland Longspur (1 Lane)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (1 Harney)

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 16:05 by Leisyka Parrott
- Fords Pond, Douglas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.3923419,-123.367763&ll=43.3923419,-123.367763
- Comments: "Brown-headed female"

Eurasian Wigeon (Mareca penelope) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 16:05 by Russ Namitz
- Fords Pond, Douglas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.3923419,-123.367763&ll=43.3923419,-123.367763
- Comments: "Brown-headed female"

Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 12:09 by William Proebsting
- Oak Creek outpost, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.5869235,-123.3368647&ll=44.5869235,-123.3368647
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Hummingbirds with green head and back, rufous flanks and white
belly."

Broad-billed Hummingbird (Cynanthus latirostris) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 12:16 by Tim Shelmerdine
- Malheur NWR--Headquarters, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.2654648,-118.8440412&ll=43.2654648,-118.8440412
- Comments: "Male, previously reported. Green back and wings, blue-black
tail. Long, curved bill, orange at base, blackish on outer2/3. Seen well,
12:54–12:56. "

Broad-billed Hummingbird (Cynanthus latirostris) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 07:30 by Vern Tunnell
- Malheur NWR--Headquarters, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.2654648,-118.8440412&ll=43.2654648,-118.8440412
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing"

Broad-billed Hummingbird (Cynanthus latirostris) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2019 13:02 by Donald Sutherland
- Malheur NWR--Headquarters, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.2654648,-118.8440412&ll=43.2654648,-118.8440412
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird. See photos."

Broad-billed Hummingbird (Cynanthus latirostris) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2019 13:02 by Charles Gates
- Malheur NWR--Headquarters, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.2654648,-118.8440412&ll=43.2654648,-118.8440412
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird. See photos."

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 08:37 by Randall Sinnott
- 27643–27765 Royal Ave, Eugene US-OR (44.0707,-123.2576), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.070702,-123.257641&ll=44.070702,-123.257641
- Comments: "Long upswept bill. Long black legs. Larger and bulkier than
yellowlegs. Flushed by perigrine but returned. Fed mostly alone on the mud."

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 12:35 by Russ Namitz
- Fern Ridge WMA--Fisher Butte Unit north (dikes around Pelican Pond 6,
Osprey Pond 5, Redhead Pond 4, and west edge of Barn Pond 3), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0667313,-123.263855&ll=44.0667313,-123.263855
- Comments: "Godwit with long bill (basal third of bill is flesh-colored)
and light supercillium, distinguishing it from MAGO. Juvenile by fresh,
crisp looking plumage. Very cool juxtaposition of black-centered and
rufous-edged scapulars contrasted with gray wing coverts. Continuing rarity
found by Gerry Meenaghan."

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 12:35 by Leisyka Parrott
- Fern Ridge WMA--Fisher Butte Unit north (dikes around Pelican Pond 6,
Osprey Pond 5, Redhead Pond 4, and west edge of Barn Pond 3), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0667313,-123.263855&ll=44.0667313,-123.263855
- Comments: "Godwit with long bill (basal third of bill is flesh-colored)
and light supercillium, distinguishing it from MAGO. Juvenile by fresh,
crisp looking plumage. Very cool juxtaposition of black-centered and
rufous-edged scapulars contrasted with gray wing coverts. Continuing rarity
found by Gerry Meenaghan. "

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 18:22 by Vjera Thompson
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Similar size to nearby Greater Yellowlegs,
slightly larger, but heftier. Longer bill, appeared to be paler toward the
base. Dark legs. Obvious supercillium. More pattern on the back then the
nearby winter plumage dowitcher, similar body structure but moved a bit
more deliberately. Fed by probing deeply, then would move a couple steps.
Spent most of the time feeding in grass rather than mud. "

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 12:48 by Brodie Cass Talbott
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Continuing at pond 6, thanks to Russ for the spot"

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 12:06 by Hendrik Herlyn
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing rarity, seen from dike west of platform. Photos."

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 12:06 by Oscar Harper
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing rarity, seen from dike west of platform. Photos."

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 08:44 by Forest Tomlinson
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Continuing"

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 08:36 by John Sullivan
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Continuing immature. Small Godwit lacking cinnamon tones of
Marbled. Prominent eyebrow, white base of tail with broad black terminal
band shown while preening."

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 07:23 by Sylvia Maulding
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "continuing 4th day. in pond 6 seen from NW dike. distant
photos. "

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 07:23 by Cindy Armstrong
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Northwest in pond 6. Walked out the dike running west from
platform. First found by Gerry Meenaghan on the 17th. Photos"

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2019 17:30 by Vickie Buck
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Smaller godwit, brownish and gray, no peach colors at all like
the Marbled Godwit. Also, it was much smaller than a Marbled. Upturned long
bill, I could see a lighter orangish or pinkish color near the base. Very
bright supercillium. I saw it from the dike running west from the platform.
It was walking on the mud across the water from this dike from about 2/3 of
the way out to half the dike. I saw it as it walked from east to west along
this edge. Photos."

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2019 06:55 by John Houle
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Large shorebird with grayish back and cinnamon breast. Strong
white supercilium and whitish cheeks. Long, upturned, bicolored bill.
Black legs and black specks on gray back. Continuing bird found on 9/17.
Found about 150 yards west of Royal tower on grassy mudflats to the south."

Hudsonian Godwit (Limosa haemastica) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2019 13:38 by Barbara Combs
- Fern Ridge path W of platform, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0696986,-123.2683773&ll=44.0696986,-123.2683773
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Ongoing rarity. Medium sized shorebird feeding on the sandy
shore. Long slightly upturned bill.. Brown above, buffy below. White line
above eye, and white area on face below eye. The other godwits do not have
this much white on their faces."

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 09:15 by Ben Stalheim
- Baskett Slough NWR, Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.9614021,-123.257246&ll=44.9614021,-123.257246
- Comments: "Juvenile. Seen foraging with pesa and wesa. Much larger than
both with tapered profile. Buffy breast that turned into white on belly.
Small bill with cap and rapidly foraging. This was a refind of a bird seen
a few days ago! So awesome!"

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 17:00 by William Tice
- Baskett Slough NWR--Mofitti Marsh, Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.9767375,-123.2665345&ll=44.9767375,-123.2665345
- Comments: "A continuing rare bird, found yesterday by Roy Gerig and seen
by others. A large wader, buffy overall, shorter bill than greater
yellowlegs of similar size"

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 10:09 by Nels Nelson
- Baskett Slough NWR--Morgan Lake, Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.9814388,-123.2613867&ll=44.9814388,-123.2613867
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Photos."

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 09:01 by Jim Kopitzke
- Baskett Slough NWR--Morgan Lake, Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.9814388,-123.2613867&ll=44.9814388,-123.2613867
- Comments: "Continuing juvenile. Better views yesterday."

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 08:46 by Tim Johnson
- Baskett Slough NWR--Morgan Lake, Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.9814388,-123.2613867&ll=44.9814388,-123.2613867
- Comments: "Continuing bird"

Ruff (Calidris pugnax) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 08:10 by Rick Bennett
- Baskett Slough NWR--Morgan Lake, Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.9814388,-123.2613867&ll=44.9814388,-123.2613867
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "large erect shorebird with short bill, buffy head and breast,
yellow legs -- Thanks to Ben for first spotting it in the distance"

Baird's Sandpiper (Calidris bairdii) (2)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 17:31 by Caleb Centanni
- Davis Lake, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.5882401,-121.8540215&ll=43.5882401,-121.8540215
- Comments: "(Rare): digiscope photos : buffy Calidris with long pp,
smaller than killdeer "

Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 17:00 by William Tice
- Baskett Slough NWR--Mofitti Marsh, Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.9767375,-123.2665345&ll=44.9767375,-123.2665345
- Comments: "I first saw this bird in flight in front of me going R to L
about 50 feet away. On the top side it did not show any whitish at the
base of the primaries or secondaries, and was all dark, but not blackish.
The underside was golden-brown to chest and also the face. I did not see
the belly or undertail coverts. Bill short. It was larger than peep size,
around pectoral sandpiper size. I had recently seen this species in flight
near Sandpiper Village (Lincoln County), and I was immediately convinced it
was the same species, and my take was that it was rather stream-lined.
It landed on the far side of the field, a good 150 yards away and by the
time I got my scope on it, it had flown off so I did not see it on the
ground. I did walk most of the way there to be sure it was not there."

Parasitic Jaeger (Stercorarius parasiticus) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 17:31 by Caleb Centanni
- Davis Lake, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.5882401,-121.8540215&ll=43.5882401,-121.8540215
- Comments: "(Rare): “Unreported”: digiscope photos: nice find by Courtney!
grateful for joint ID confirm with Caleb! (meanwhile Caleb “was ducking
around not even scoping”) — wow! a Jaeger! “Shit! What do we do with it?!”
— how to ID it? 6:55pm losing light and out on lake fairly distant? sitting
on water. — Caleb: “Thinnish bill, kind of shaped like CAGU bill; dark all
across the breast? wait, is there dark all across the breast? there is not
dark all across the breast, I was wrong. The back is visibly not blackish.
Primaries approx. equal to tail tip or slightly beyond. No white visible in
primaries but I’m not sure if there would be in sitting floating posture.
Fairly long flat top of head. If it had a breeding tail, it would have to
be a Parasitic Jaeger.” Large-ish bill rules out Long-tailed. (But
apparently not thick enough for Pomarine). — Then we saw it in flight, it
chased down to steal from a RBGU, which the Jaeger was smaller than. Flying
more like a falcon than a gull! We saw white upperwing shafts, and also it
did have adult full tail feathers, centrally pointed. Size of bird smaller
than RBGU and also lighter swifter size/body/flight than the heavy/stocky
Pomarine we just recently studied on Sept. 14 Pelagic trip . “Babe, we got
ourselves a Parasitic!” So great to see it fly to be able to ID. — “Now we
need to find it on the Deschutes side” of lake tomorrow! "

Forster's Tern (Sterna forsteri) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 08:25 by Steve Nord
- Fernhill Wetlands (general), Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.5064875,-123.0851855&ll=45.5064875,-123.0851855
- Comments: "Sterna-type tern, black cap, red bill, forked tail. Separated
from Common and Arctic Terns, by its bulkier heavier look, at first quick
glance I assumed it was going to be the more likely Caspian Tern. However,
quickly noted it was too small, the tail was deeply forked, and bill was
much smaller than Caspian Tern. Wings were very pale on upper side, no
darkness in primaries as usually seen in Common Terns. Bird made a single
cruise over Fernhill Pond, and continued on its way."

White-faced Ibis (Plegadis chihi) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 08:37 by Randall Sinnott
- 27643–27765 Royal Ave, Eugene US-OR (44.0707,-123.2576), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.070702,-123.257641&ll=44.070702,-123.257641
- Comments: "Tall dark wader. Downcurved bill. Reported over a week at this
location."

White-faced Ibis (Plegadis chihi) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 08:36 by John Sullivan
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Continuing immature. Dark wader with long, decurved bill."

White-faced Ibis (Plegadis chihi) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 07:23 by Sylvia Maulding
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "continuing in pond 6. "

White-faced Ibis (Plegadis chihi) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 07:23 by Cindy Armstrong
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Middle of pond 6. Continuing bird. Large brown bird. Has
decurved bill."

White-faced Ibis (Plegadis chihi) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2019 06:55 by John Houle
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Continuing bird found on west side of Pond #6."

White-faced Ibis (Plegadis chihi) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2019 13:38 by Barbara Combs
- Fern Ridge path W of platform, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0696986,-123.2683773&ll=44.0696986,-123.2683773
- Comments: "Large dark long-legged shorebird with long downward curving
bill. Ongoing rarity."

Red-tailed Hawk (calurus/alascensis) (Buteo jamaicensis calurus/alascensis)
(5)
- Reported Sep 19, 2019 11:33 by Sean Cozart
- US-20 -- Malheur/Bully Valley, Malheur, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.9417017,-117.3053012&ll=43.9417017,-117.3053012
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Photos."

Lewis's Woodpecker (Melanerpes lewis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 09:55 by William Proebsting
- 44.41555_-123.33728, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.41555,-123.33728&ll=44.41555,-123.33728
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Woodpecker with dark face, green back, gray collar and pink
breast and belly."

Hutton's Vireo (Vireo huttoni) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 07:30 by Vern Tunnell
- Malheur NWR--Headquarters, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.2654648,-118.8440412&ll=43.2654648,-118.8440412
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "continuing"

Clark's Nutcracker (Nucifraga columbiana) (7) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 10:03 by Mark Baldwin
- Marys Peak, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.5101917,-123.5505647&ll=44.5101917,-123.5505647
- Comments: "At least 7, possibly 2-3 more. Large, gray Jays. Black wings
with white secondaries, black tail with white outer feathers. Flew into fir
tree on the north side of the road and south of the communications towers.
(44.5038, -123.5529) Moved to the ground and began turning over rocks. No
grasshoppers."

Purple Martin (Progne subis) (3)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 16:05 by Leisyka Parrott
- Fords Pond, Douglas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.3923419,-123.367763&ll=43.3923419,-123.367763
- Comments: "Vocalizing high above. Visual. Female/immature type
“churping” single notes. Familiar with vocalizations. "

Purple Martin (Progne subis) (3)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 16:05 by Russ Namitz
- Fords Pond, Douglas, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.3923419,-123.367763&ll=43.3923419,-123.367763
- Comments: "Vocalizing high above. Visual. Female/immature type
“churping” single notes. Familiar with vocalizations. "

Lapland Longspur (Calcarius lapponicus) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2019 08:31 by Daniel Farrar
- Siltcoos River Estuary, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.8756901,-124.1524601&ll=43.8756901,-124.1524601
- Comments: "FoS. Detected by distinctive call. Watched flyover, made
large circle around north side of estuary. Lost in sun. Later it or
another flushed and again did a large circle but eventually landed with
Savannahs in the south most grass on the spit. Seen briefly. Rufous
coverts. Very little white in tail. Never cooperated and flew again. Last
seen headed north over foredune. May have returned."

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus) (1)
- Reported Sep 14, 2019 11:20 by Louisa Evers
- Malheur NWR--Headquarters, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.2654648,-118.8440412&ll=43.2654648,-118.8440412
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Initially identified this as a black-headed grosbeak based on
what appeared to be a bi-colored bill and streaking that seemed fine when
comparing to rose-breasted grosbeak illustrations. Now I'm not so sure.
The bill still looks bi-colored, but somewhat ambiguous given debris from
the rose hips it was eating. The streaking fineness or coarseness varies
somewhat with the quality of light and viewing angle.. The breast
sometimes appears to have a rosy cast but mostly looks orangish. In some
views, the rosy cast seems consistent with staining from the rose hips and
in other views it does not. In flight, I thought I saw red in the
underwings, but couldn't get any photos to confirm. However, on one of the
attached photos it looks like the edge of red underwing. Could this be a
BHGR-RBGR hybrid? Please provide feedback."