Date: 9/20/19 11:28 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (20 Sep 2019) 80 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 80 622 629

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Bob Murray, Chad Hutchinson, Norm Lincoln

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (8): Chad Hutchinson, Diane Harris, Bob Murray, Beaty Broughton,
Deb Kirchdoerfer, Elaine Kirk, Norm Lincoln
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10-50% cloud cover), Ceiling --30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 52 - 78F, Winds West @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (54) and Turkey Vultures (63).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-1; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On September 19,
I sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format -
a newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
Chad and I met for a walk to “Warbler Meadows” early this morning.
There were some birds: a PHILADELPHIA VIREO [just before Chad’s late
arrival], American Redstarts, Magnolia Warblers, and a Chestnut-sided
Warbler. A surprise mid-morning Great Horned Owl was heard in the distant
Red Clay Creek Valley.
<BR><BR>
Diane was new here, coming all the way from Oregon. Bob, Deb, Beaty, Norm,
and Chad were all somewhat more local. Elaine joined us for our warbler
walk and had a bird that tastes “oh, so delicious.” Let me explain…
She has been after a Cuckoo for a LONG time. A L-O-N-G time! Well,
today we met up with her and I believe it was our first bird, flew into the
top of a webworm-infested tree and it was a – wait for it, wait for it
– Yellow-billed Cuckoo! Elaine has long promised me dinner out [no
expense spared] for finding her one. Well, today is the day. I told her
I’ll get back to her and her sister on my restaurant selection.
Suggestions anyone?? I may need a wine recommendation as well!
<BR><BR>
The sky was marvelous [a surprise], but the birds slow to materialize in
it, although a late day kettle of 42 Broad-winged Hawks gave promise for
tomorrow and beyond. [My money is still on Sunday]
<BR><BR>
After today’s hawk watch was over, I visited New Garden WTP where there
were Lesser Yellowlegs, Killdeer, Wood Ducks, and Ring-necked Duck. I also
stopped at the Polo Fields which held only 10 Killdeer. These fields have
been very disappointing this year. Other than Killdeer and despite
checking frequently, I’ve only seen but one other shorebird species all
season – a lone Least Sandpiper.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Great Horned Owl, PHILADELPHIA VIREO, COMMON RAVENS, Bobolinks,
Black-and-white Warbler, American Redstarts, Magnolia Warblers,
Chestnut-sided Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, and Blue Grosbeak
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (11): Monarch - 56, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black
Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals
(3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.42; Steps:
15,061; Floors: 19.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season:
104
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Great Horned Owl.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks Sunny with few background clouds. But that was
predicted for yesterday and the sky had clouds...so, it could be good.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek