Date: 9/20/19 11:17 pm
From: Pam Otley <pamo1954...>
Subject: [obol] Sharp-tailed Sandpiper - Morgan Lake
Hi all,

I visited Morgan Lake in Basket Slough NWR this evening. I first thought
there were no birds but then they started flying in. I scoped the lake bed
from the road, picking out the ongoing juvenile Ruff, first reported by Roy
Gerig. It was in the east side of the lake. I then walked down to the edge
of the lake bed and worked my way around the south side. There was a
Pectoral Sandpiper at the west side pool. More and more Long-billed
Dowitchers kept flying in to the west pool area. I counted 62 before I
left. As I was scoping the peeps on the mud on the east side, I picked out
a slightly larger bird that at first I thought was a Pectoral Sandpiper. As
I watched it feeding, it just seemed different in its posture and
movement...not as upright as the PESA. It also didn't have the distinct
border between the breast wash of color and the white belly. Though quite
far away, I could sometimes see the white supercilium and rufous cap. The
back and wings also appeared brightly colored, much more so than the PESA.
I have concluded it is a juvenile Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.

See my eBird list for my distant photos that I hope you-all can make out
details. I have not seen many Sharp-tailed Sandpipers so if I am off the
mark am interested in your comments.

It was quite beautiful out there with the sun going down. The grand finale
was comprised of the Peregrine appearing and diving down on dowitchers with
a dramatic "whoosh", causing them all to take flight. All escaped and
circled back to where they had been.

eBird list: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59966588

Happy migration birding,

Pam Otley