Date: 9/20/19 9:19 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] San Antonio Valley Transect
Folks:

Today, 9/20/19, I did a San Antonio Valley transect, starting from the
Alameda County on Mines Road, going to the junction, then nearly to the
Stanislaus line on Del Puerto Road, then back to San Antonio Valley Road
and up to the summit of Mt. Hamilton.  It was quite windy near the start
and I didn't see many passerines until I reached the second summit where
the winds dropped.  I saw 22+ LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCHES scattered along
Mines Road: 8 at Colorado Creek, one near the second summit, 3 at
Ruthie's, 2 at the Digger Pine Ranch stock pond, and 8 along Sweetwater
Creek downstream of that pond.  I had sightings of two CHIPPING SPARROWS
at different spots along Mines Road, already in basic plumage.  Two
LEWIS'S WOODPECKERS were at the dogleg south of the junction.  Nearby at
San Antonio Creek I saw a HOUSE WREN and a gray-headed ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLER near the Gehri Bridge.

Dropping down the west side of Mt Hamilton, I stopped by the Ranch House
in Joseph Grant CP and enjoyed the male VERMILION FLYCATCHER, still near
the wishing well.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park