Date: 9/20/19 6:36 pm
From: Bill Tice <ticebill7...>
Subject: [obol] Morgan Lake Ruff and Buff Breasted Sandpiper
Hi All,
I've been over to Eastern Oregon for a week on vacation with my wife, and
stopped at Morgan Lake at BSNWR on the way home to look for the reported
Ruff. The two small bodies of water were devoid of birds and I suspect
this was due to a peregrine. While standing on the dike a couple
yellowlegs flew in from the west, so I headed to the marsh below
(Mofitti). About halfway there, through the field, I scoped the north end
of the marsh and easily located the Ruff. As I wanted pics I kept walking
toward him, and when about to reach a wet area between him and me, a large
shorebird, about pectoral size flew from South to North, about 50 feet in
front of me. As it did not have any whitish markings on the upper parts
and was a golden brown on the lower parts, with a short bill, I believe
this was a buff breasted sandpiper. About a month ago I had seen the
Sandpiper Village bird flying along not far from me, I was immediately
reminded of that bird. Both seemed rather streamlined to me. It landed on
the north end of the field, near 2 egrets. In the 7-8 seconds it took for
me to get my scope on the area, it must have flown as I walked over there
and could not find it. The ruff most have flown as well as I could not
relocate it either. I looked over Morgan Lake on the way out and could
only find one yellowlegs.

So for those of you who may be venturing over there, please keep an eye
out.

--
Bill Tice

:
Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and, for avoiding chores

Join us on Facebook!