Date: 9/20/19 4:28 pm
From: Fran Perler <franpix15...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] A question about birding England and Wales
Hi Jon,

I’m currently in Durham England. I just picked up the RSPB Handbook of British Birds by Peter Holden and Tim Cleese’s. fourth edition. Only 11 British pounds. Nice drawings. A bird per page. Habitat, ID, migration, behavior, range.

The Where to Watch Birds books are a series. My friend had the Northeast England one by Britton and Day.

eBird is good, but I’m not sure the locals use it as much as we Americans. The hotspots near hear didn’t always have current checklists.

Have fun.

Take care,
Fran Perler
………………………………………………
Sent from Fran’s iPad

> On Sep 20, 2019, at 2:43 PM, Jim Hully <xenospiza...> wrote:
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> There are no decent field guides that just focus on England & Wales. UK-centric ones are moving towards using photos rather than drawings/paintings. I like "Britain's Birds An Identification Guide to the Birds of Britain and Ireland" by Rob Hume et al. if you prefer photographs . "Birds of Europe", second edition, by Lars Svensson et al. is arguably the best overall guide and Svensson's illustrations are just amazing.
>
> If by guides you meant bird-finding ones then I would start with Simon Harrop & Nigel Redmon's "Where to Watch Birds in Britain", second edition. It may be getting out of date (published in 2010) but it makes a great planning book with lots of maps and useful directions. Once you decided where you want to go there are more regionalized bird-finding guides that are more up to date. I've pretty much stopped using bird-finding books preferring to use services like eBirds or the various RBAs for planning and getting up-to-the-minute info on what is around.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim Hully
> <xenospiza...>
>

>> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 9:18 AM Jon Damian <jongennarodamian...> wrote:
>> Hi Massbird birding buddies!
>>
>> I am headed to England and Wales in late May for some concerts and of course birding.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a decent guide that focuses in to England and Wales.
>>
>> I appreciate your response.
>>
>> Jon Damian
>> Cambridge
>> <jongennardamian...>