Date: 9/20/19 4:23 pm
From: Sarah Burton <burtosarah...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fall Migrants at Corona Heights Today
It was birdy at Corona Heights this morning. Our monthly Audubon walk had a
total of 14 participants. Thank you to all who attended – hat tip to
Dominik and Erica for their contributions. Highlights below:

Early in the parking lot, an exciting 30 minute show: One of each

- Red-tailed Hawk
- Red-shouldered Hawk
- Cooper's Hawk
- American Kestrel

competed with each other in pursuit of Red-masked Parakeet, House Finch,
and Mourning Dove flocks all while our stalwart hummingbirds did their best
mobbing.

Migrants and newly arrived:

- Western Tanager - flock of approximately 18 departed Flint St. tennis
courts at 10:13a
- Cedar Waxwing - flock of approx. 6 flyover, heading SW at 8:28a
- Yellow Warbler - flock of approx. 7 flyover, heading S 9:02a
- Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) - FOS, 1 in poison oak against
northside hill
- Townsend's Warbler - FOS, 2 on grounds of museum entrance
- Western Flycatcher, Willow Flycatcher, House Wren - FOS, respectively
2, 1, 2 (bench)
- Warbling Vireo, Hutton's Vireo - FOS, respectively 3 and 1 ("Johnny
One Note")
- Fox Sparrow (Sooty) - FOS, 5-6 atop north side of hill
- Hermit Thrush - FOS, 1, vocalizing below deck
- Golden-crowned Sparrow - FOS, 2-3 foraging at base of west hillside,
dog run
- Ruby-crowned Kinglet - FOS, 1 vocalizing in oak below deck 10:18a
- Red-breasted Nuthatch - FOS, 1 vocalizing in parking lot conifers,
erupting

Birds are on the move. This morning at Corona Heights was birdy but fall
migration has not yet peaked, either in terms of abundance or variety – has
not yet reached peak so get out there. Stay safe, though. Unfortunately, I
found my bike stolen from the parking lot rack at the end of the walk
today. A disappointment to be sure, but also an opportunity to get a new
pair of wings
<https://airandspace.si.edu/sites/default/files/images/editoral-stories/thumbnails/WEB11288-2009_640.jpg>
.

Bird on,