Date: 9/20/19 3:46 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (20 Sep 2019) 161 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 4 4
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 161 26861 26861

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Andy Parsons, Bob Pettit, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent,
Patrick Tomlinson, Steve Wagner

Visitors:
Today we were joined by Steve Wagner, Patrick Tomlinson, Bob Pettit, Andy
Parsons, Ron Delacourt, Bob Hall-Brooks, and Rick. Thank you to all for
spotting far-away Sharp-shinned Hawks.

Weather:
Today was a hot day with once again, very little cloud cover and a good
breeze coming from the South. Not very good for a lot of raptors but nice
to be outside.

Raptor Observations:
More Sharpies! On these less favourable wind days, we are counting a good
number of Sharp-shinned Hawks at Demonstration Farms, with a daily count of
120. We also counted a few Kestrels (10), Broad-winged Hawks (5), and two
Merlins.

Non-raptor Observations:
The Blue Jays are finally starting to move. Today we had a daily count of
120 Jays, most of them travelling from tree to tree, not fully migrating,
but soon!
We also counted many Killdeers, Red-winged Blackbird, Cedar Waxwings, and
Starlings.

Blue Jays: 120
Killdeer: 23
Starlings: 77
Cedar Waxwing: 80
Goldfinch: 35
Black Saddlebags: 354
Common Green Darner: 105
Monarch: 15

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59959893

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we will be doing our counting on the tower!! However, we are
expecting winds from the South again. Hopefully the Sharp-shinned Hawks
will keep coming. We are also hoping for more Blue Jays to start moving and
for a few more good kettles of Broad-winged Hawks before the end of the
season.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<7462cee953064ab1a0642fa8eac8e2d9...>