Date: 9/20/19 3:04 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose-Black Bellied Plover, Pintail & Broad Winged Hawk 9-20-19
Hello Bird People,

Today I saw (with Michael Ferguson & 2 other birders) a soaring BROAD
WINGED HAWK. It was with a Copper's Hawk for comparison purposes.
Later a 2nd Cooper's Hawk flew in & one was an adult & one an
immature. The Broad Winged Hawk was a small Buteo with some color on
the chest, wide wings & big, obvious tail bands. It was much smaller
than a Red Tailed Hawk. Usually Broad Wings are only found on the
lakefront when there is a strong west or N.W wind to blow them in but
today there was hardly any wind at all so I am not sure why it was
present. The tail was missing a few feathers but the wide tail bands
were obvious. This was my 1st Montrose Broad Wing & I wonder if others
have seen any?

Beach & Dunes (7-9 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (4 in the water & on the tower on the pier)
Great Blue Heron (1, 1st about 50 ft out in the lake & then on the
flooded beach)
Canada Goose (~18)
Mallard (~10), PINTAIL (1, in the Dunes ponds)
Blue Winged (~25-30) & Green Winged Teal (I only saw 1)
BLACK BELLIED PLOVER (1, but flew away calling after the 2nd Peregrine pass)
Semipalmated Plover (eventually up to 11)
Killdeer (5)
Sanderling (9)
(Some early birders saw a lone Dowitcher but I missed that & others saw 1 Snipe)
PEREGRINE (1, made 3 passes along the beach scattering everything there)
Ring Billed (~80) & Herring (2) Gulls on the beach
Caspian (2), Common (1) & Forster's (2) Terns
Chimney Swifts (~10-12)
By the Dunes Willows were Eastern Phoebe, Blackpoll, Palm Warblers & Goldfinch.

Hedge Area (9-11:30 a.m.)

I had 11 species of warblers but others had quite a few more including
Golden Winged, Blue Winged, Black Throated Blue (female), Mourning,
Northern Waterthrush & Wilson's & maybe more. See the ebird checklists
from Craig Taylor & Keith McMullen for a large list of warblers if
they did the checklists. My best warblers were Cape May (2) &
Blackburnian (1).

Thrushes that I saw included Swainson's (6) & WOOD THRUSH (1),
although other birders had more. Also had Gray Catbird & Brown
Thrashers. Flycatchers were Eastern Pewee & Eastern Phoebe. I spend so
much time on the beach that my land bird lists are always smaller than
the lists of others.

Had 50 species for the day & Bird-Of-The-Day will be the Broad Winged Hawk.
Runners-Up to the Black Bellied Plover, the Peregrine & the Wood Thrush.
Wish I'd seen that Dowitcher!

Al Stokie
On the Chicago lakefront today & I did fairly well even with all those
missed warblers

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional