Date: 9/20/19 2:16 pm
From: Monacell, Peter L. <plmonacell...>
Subject: Fwd: California Gull and others at Truman Lake dam
This morning’s Truman Dam checklist, including the rare gulls:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59952580

Afterwards, Lyndon Hostetler was kind enough to take me out on his boat, along with two other members of the Mennonite birding group. We did not relocate the young Sabine’s Gull in the area where it was seen last evening (east of KK Rd, south of the Hwy 7 bridge out of Warsaw), or at all. We did, however, add a Franklin’s Gull, two Black Terns, and an Osprey to today’s list of birds. And, I had a great time.

Good birding everyone,

Pete

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Monacell, Peter L." <plmonacell...><mailto:<plmonacell...>>
Date: September 20, 2019 at 9:45:49 AM CDT
To: <MOBIRDS-L...><mailto:<MOBIRDS-L...>>
Subject: California Gull and others at Truman Lake dam

Reggie Swartzentruber and I both arrived at 7am. We are almost certain on the adult California Gull. We saw a red spot on the yellow bill, yellow legs, gray secondaries on the underwing, dark eyes, and more. Size is larger than Ring-billed Gull but smaller than a Herring Gull would be. The mantle is a little darker too, and the darker head has the look of a nonbreeding CAGU, of which I’ve only seen photos and illustrations. Trying to get more documentary photos now.

There are also at least one adult Laughing Gull and four Common Tern (along with Forster’s Tern and one Caspian). Ring-billed Gulls number at least 2000.

Scope from below the west end of the dam AND also enter Shawnee Bend Public Use Area and scope the beach below the open parking lot. The very probable CAGU was seen at distance in both locations, with the roost.

Good birding everyone,
Pete

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 19, 2019, at 7:57 PM, Lisa Berger <goshawk...><mailto:<goshawk...><mailto:<goshawk...>>

All,

Rick Hostetler had a Cave Swallow this morning at School-Osage. I’ll find out where. Then Rick, Zane, Jody, and Scott report a California and Laughing Gulls at Truman Dam.

Lisa Berger
<goshawk...><mailto:<goshawk...><mailto:<goshawk...>

Archives<https://po.missouri.edu/archives/mobirds-l.html> / Subscription options<https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1> / ASM Website<http://mobirds.org> / Email the list owners<mailto:<mobirds-l-request...>

ASM Fall Meeting: September 27-29, 2019 at Camp Clover Point, Lake of the Ozarks State Park, Osage Beach, MO Details and Online Registration<http://www.mobirds.org/ASM/Meetings.aspx>

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/
ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html