Date: 9/20/19 12:13 pm
From: Harold A. Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: late Mississippi Kite
I live in Edmond , west side near the Walmart. (Santa Fe and Danforth) I still a number ( have seen 3-4 at once) of ruby throated Hummers visiting my feeders. Definitely 1 male , maybe 2 as I have feeders in front and back and have seen a male at each within last day or two. One of the males is still “ defending “ his feeder. Just saw a male at back feeder as I write!
Also have seen 1 M. Kite sitting in the neighborhood and in Mitch Park daily last several days. I was OO Town 9/4-9/10. Before I left there were many. Upon my return nearly all gone. Also so 1 at Lake Hefner yesterday.
Historically, here at my residence for last 21 years, I have recorded a ruby throated hummer at my feeders as late as Oct 30. Usually until at least Oct. 15. I keep 1 feeder up until Nov. 1.
One year ( I think 2015) on fall migration I had a visiting Rufous Hummer. It stayed 3-4 days and took over 1 of the feeders. We were able to get a great photo.
Also should mention that several years now we have located a black-chinned hummer at Mitch Park. Another birder, who literally lives across the street from Mitch Park on Covell, had a black-chinned and ruby throated at his feeder this summer. He said that this was first year for a black-chinned at his feeder.
Hal A. Yocum

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 20, 2019, at 12:12 PM, Devin Bosler <devinbosler...> wrote:
>
> Hi OK Birds,
>
> This morning (about 11:35am), I had a single juvenile MISSISSIPPI KITE kiting high over Crutcho Creek off Air Depot Blvd. in Midwest City (Oklahoma Co.). It ties my second latest-ever date for the Greater OKC area. Last year, I had 3-4 individuals, including 2 adults, on this same date in Yukon (Canadian Co.). I’ve only had one later observation in the 6.5 years that I’ve lived here in Oklahoma.
>
> Still have at least one female-type Ruby-throated Hummingbird in my small, enclosed backyard.
>
> Cheers,
> Devin Bosler
> Edmond, OK

Join us on Facebook!