Date: 9/20/19 10:30 am
From: Patrick Maurice <patrickmaurice1...>
Subject: [GABO-L] PHILADELPHIA VIREO and other goodies at the State Bot. Gardens in Athens, 9/20/19
Hey all,

Thought I’d share that a small group of Athens birders went out to the botanical gardens today and we found some good migrants at the powerline cut and along the river.

I ended up with 53 species. Highlights were the previously mentioned PHILADELPHIA VIREO, a pair of GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLERS and a pair of CANADA WARBLERS.

The full eBird checklist is below, I’ll try to add a few photos of the vireo and warblers tonight.

Migration is on!
Patrick Maurice
Athens, GA

State Botanical Garden of Georgia, Clarke, Georgia, US
Sep 20, 2019 8:40 AM - 12:04 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: Great morning to bird the bot gardens! Only birded the powerline cut and White Trail along the river.
53 species

Mourning Dove 2
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Chimney Swift 4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Killdeer 1
Black Vulture 4
Turkey Vulture 5
Red-shouldered Hawk (lineatus Group) 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-headed Woodpecker 2 Good to see that they’re still around
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Downy Woodpecker (Eastern) 4
Hairy Woodpecker (Eastern) 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 5
Acadian Flycatcher 1
Eastern Phoebe 3
White-eyed Vireo 4
Philadelphia Vireo 1 A bright individual on the White Trail approximately here: 33.8998241, -83.3891353).
Red-eyed Vireo 8
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 2
Carolina Chickadee 10
Tufted Titmouse 12
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (caerulea) 1
Carolina Wren 8
Brown Thrasher 1
Northern Mockingbird 1
Eastern Bluebird 6
Swainson's Thrush (Olive-backed) 3
House Finch 8
American Goldfinch 5
Chipping Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 1
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
Worm-eating Warbler 1
Northern Waterthrush 1
Golden-winged Warbler 2 Pair
Black-and-white Warbler 2
Kentucky Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 2
Hooded Warbler 1
American Redstart 4
Northern Parula 1
Magnolia Warbler 3
Chestnut-sided Warbler 6
Pine Warbler 1
Canada Warbler 2 Foraging together at one point, appeared to be an adult female with a faint necklace and an immature without a necklace.
Summer Tanager 1 Bright red male
Scarlet Tanager 6
Northern Cardinal 10
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1