Date: 9/20/19 9:51 am
Subject: Re: "Bird Decline" should lead to Action...
C-birders
I heartily support the J Anderson's thoughts and ideas. As a birder and a
businessman I am always trying to do the best I can in personal life and in
running our very environmental business. Most of us have not seen much of a
climate change aside from dealing with hotter conditions. I have been going
to Alaska at the same time of the year for many years and have seen
ice-bound conditions in Nome when I started to travel there and now spring
is well advance and leafed out willows are the norm. Quite a contrast over
a short space of time!

My thoughts.....

1. I will be at the Asheville, NC climate rally this afternoon.
2. My husband and I eat a plant-based diet whenever possible - even when we
travel. We have used the Seafood App and try to buy NC wild-caught shrimp
at all times when we eat seafood (not often these days). Also wild-caught
Atlantic Salmon once in a while.
3. We have "ungrassed" our property considerably and it's grown up a lot
now. Birdlist around 130 and mammals every day including bears, bobcat and
more
4. We use native plants whenever possible and no pesticides at all
5. Cats are certainly indoors. Any that appear in the yard are caught with
our Have-a heart trap and taken to the no-kill shelter here in Asheville.
6. As for single-use plastics. For our Ventures Birding Tours picnics, we
use washable heavy plastic plates, real cutlery (silverware!), and
recyclable cups. The only rubbish we ever have is paper napkins afterwards
- we may work on that as well. As for plastic bags, much to my husband's
annoyance, I always lecture the check-out person at the grocery store and
have actually given away reusable bags to other shoppers!!

I know we feel helpless when governments around the world are more
interested in opening up wildlife areas to drilling and other destructive
motives to please their corporate interests - worldwide not just in this
country. I am so pleased that young people are stepping up to the plate for
gun control and ant-pollution measures. I travel a lot and have seen things
around the world that defy description, such as taking a boat across
Jakarta Bay in Indonesia to see the Christmas Island Frigatebirds - the
boat captain had to pull the engine up every few minutes to remove plastic
bags from the propeller! Ugh!

This isn't a lecture or designed to make me feel good, I feel as if we have
no choice but to go out and talk to people. I know as a traveling birder,
my air travel is not good, but I can't see that changing any time soon.
Thanks again for hearing me out.
Simon

Simon RB Thompson

Ventures Birding Tours
www.birdventures.com <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.birdventures.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=d2RQ4VAnctM8fbdxNQ7v1pd9BkiD4tyPHiFlU9f2NsY&s=lc_q5FJABZ98ytwsKHPRrPwmWyQh6PiUN39-wFaKHrg&e= >

Please use the Ventures e-mail (<Venturesbirding...>) to contact the
Ventures office - thanks!

Join us on Facebook!