Date: 9/20/19 9:05 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wheaton Regional Park today, 9/20
Hi all,

A very cold and quiet start - just the usual early movement of Jays and Flickers. It wasn’t until things warmed up along Pine Lake that the first warblers showed. At the end we ended up with 7 species, most numerous being Black-and-White and Parula, but the best a handsome male Canada which gave good views. Other birders saw a Northern Waterthrush which we missed. A very brief stop at Brookside Gardens and Nature Ctr. found another small warbler flock as well as lingering hummers in the Salvia garden.

Still rather slow, though, compared to previous years...

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville, MD

36 species
Birds of interest:

Pied-billed Grebe 1
Chimney Swift 20 Estimate
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 3
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 15
Eastern Wood-Pewee 6
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) 1
Warbling Vireo 1 Heard only
Red-eyed Vireo 6
Blue Jay 20 Estimate
Gray Catbird 20 Estimate