Date: 9/20/19 8:54 am
From: G M ARCHAMBAULT <gm72125...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] A question about birding England and Wales
I second Jim Hully's recommendation of the Lars Svensson book. It is a thing of beauty. I'm very happy to have a pristine copy in my collection. -Ken Archambault, Birmingham, Alabama
On Friday, September 20, 2019, 8:58:23 AM CDT, Jim Hully <xenospiza...> wrote:

Hi Jon,
There are no decent field guides that just focus on England & Wales. UK-centric ones are moving towards using photos rather than drawings/paintings. I like "Britain's Birds An Identification Guide to the Birds of Britain and Ireland" by Rob Hume et al. if you prefer photographs . "Birds of Europe", second edition, by Lars Svensson et al. is arguably the best overall guide and Svensson's illustrations are just amazing.
If by guides you meant bird-finding ones then I would start with Simon Harrop & Nigel Redmon's "Where to Watch Birds in Britain", second edition. It may be getting out of date (published in 2010) but it makes a great planning book with lots of maps and useful directions. Once you decided where you want to go there are more regionalized bird-finding guides that are more up to date. I've pretty much stopped using bird-finding books preferring to use services like eBirds or the various RBAs for planning and getting up-to-the-minute info on what is around.
Good luck.
Cheers,
Jim <Hullyxenospiza...>

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 9:18 AM Jon Damian <jongennarodamian...> wrote:

Hi Massbird birding buddies!
I am headed to England and Wales in late May for some concerts and of course birding.
Can anyone suggest a decent guide that focuses in to England and Wales.
I appreciate your response.
Jon <DamianCambridgejongennardamian...>

Join us on Facebook!