Date: 9/20/19 6:49 am
From: Jim Hully <xenospiza...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] A question about birding England and Wales
Hi Jon,

There are no decent field guides that just focus on England & Wales.
UK-centric ones are moving towards using photos rather than
drawings/paintings. I like "Britain's Birds An Identification Guide to the
Birds of Britain and Ireland" by Rob Hume et al. if you prefer photographs
. "Birds of Europe", second edition, by Lars Svensson et al. is arguably
the best overall guide and Svensson's illustrations are just amazing.

If by guides you meant bird-finding ones then I would start with Simon
Harrop & Nigel Redmon's "Where to Watch Birds in Britain", second edition.
It may be getting out of date (published in 2010) but it makes a great
planning book with lots of maps and useful directions. Once you decided
where you want to go there are more regionalized bird-finding guides that
are more up to date. I've pretty much stopped using bird-finding
books preferring to use services like eBirds or the various RBAs for
planning and getting up-to-the-minute info on what is around.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Jim Hully
<xenospiza...>

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 9:18 AM Jon Damian <jongennarodamian...>
wrote:

> Hi Massbird birding buddies!
>
> I am headed to England and Wales in late May for some concerts and of
> course birding.
>
> Can anyone suggest a decent guide that focuses in to England and Wales.
>
> I appreciate your response.
>
> Jon Damian
> Cambridge
> <jongennardamian...>