Date: 9/20/19 5:20 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (19 Sep 2019) 54 Raptors

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 22:14:22 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (19 Sep 2019) 54 Raptors

Merlin 5 28 30
Peregrine Falcon 1 10 10
Unknown Accipiter 0 6 6
Unknown Buteo 0 4 4
Unknown Falcon 1 6 6
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 36 37

Total: 54 2764 2858

Observation start time: 08:00:00 Observation end time: 15:00:00 Total
observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Christine Restell, Chuck Johnson, Colleen Tank, Ed Norris,
Fay Vale, Jack Miano, Marcus Rhodes, Mark Milnamow,
Mark Morris, Marty McNamara, Mike Gendrin, Paul Roberts,
Peter Vale, Steve Farrell, Susan Moses, Tom Gottschang

Visitors:
Assisting the watch: Steve and Amy Jackson, Lisa Burwell,
Daryl Turek plus:
Members of Audubon Society of R.I. crew: Laura Carberry,
Steve Reinvert, Dave Gumley, Don Heitzmann, Steve Ruscito,
Laurrie Jones, Barbarry Rhona, and Brad Turner. Welcome all, hope I got
all names correctly and that your
next visit has a major flight.

Weather:
Wind was from NE until 11AM then variable for the rest of day between N
and E, but calling it wind is a stretch!
In first hour we had a gust near 5 mph .. otherwise, 0-3
thru noon and lighter for the rest of day. Ugh.
Temp of 39F at start and rose to 42 by 10 AM then spiked
to 53 by 11AM. Highest temp 56F at 1PM then dropped to
54 at 2PM.
Visibility fine for 30 miles and then light haze gradually grayed features
at the horizons.
Cloud cover 0% gradually increased slightly (5%) with
light wispy cirrus streaks paled the deep blue slightly around thru the day.

Raptor Observations:
Sharpies were the only double-digit species at 19. Ouch.
Add some strong-winging falcons and floating Ospreys and
top it off with a few BW's and we get 54 birds. Double
ouch.
We did have a migrating TV -- full straight-line, no
rocking flight E NE to SW.

Locals: BE: the 2 adults & 1 subadult up north;
TV 12, RT 3.

Non-raptor Observations:
Common Ravens 9, Geese 65, White-breasted Nuthatch, Towhee, Common Loon,
Yellow-rump Warbler, Titmouse, House
Ween, Phoebe.

Monarchs 19.

Predictions:
Sunny, high near 77 (well below treeline..), Northwest
wind around 7 mph.

Also predict I'll be a little late tomorrow :(
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!