Date: 9/19/19 9:15 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] SEP. 18 PELAGIC REPORT
HI, MBB Birders,

Shearwater Journeys had a beautiful day on Monterey Bay on Wednesday, September 18, 2019. Glassy-smooth seas prevailed throughout the day. We spent a lot of the day in very deep water, 1500 fathoms!

A single MANX SHEARWATER spotted by Mike Parr, was a few miles off Point Pinos, possibly the same individual we saw a few trips ago. We found good numbers of the usual fall seabirds throughout the day— almost always something to look at! All three species of jaegers, Sabine’s gulls, and Arctic tern were found.

Marine mammals included nearly 20 humpback whales, and four species of dolphins: Risso’s, Pacific white-sided, Northern right whale, and long-beaked common dolphins. Half a dozen Northern fur seals and one Northern elephant seal rounded out the marine mammals. Two blue sharks, indicators of the very warm water that moved into the area, were nice.

A large plume of warm water has moved closer to the deepest edges of the canyon and remains there as of this evening, according to the charts.

Our captain, Tinker, reported finding Laysan albatross on September 16 off Point Sur.

Spaces are available on our FRIDAY, OCTOBER 11 Monterey Bay trip. Please email me: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...> for a reservation.

What a beautiful day at sea we had! Great seabirds, marine mammals, and birders on board!

Living the Salt Life,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 44 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 23 June - 6 July 2020
Northeast Passage: Northern Sea Route 27 July - 22 August 2020