Date: 9/19/19 6:32 pm
From: Rudy Keller <rckeller...>
Subject: migration this week, berks
Thrushes and birds with nocturnal flight calls resembling those of thrushes have been migrating big time this week, based on calls heard at dawn. On Sept. 18 at South Lookout, Hawk Mt., I heard more than 800 calls in about 20 minutes after 6 a.m., mostly of Swainson’s Thrush, but including calls of Veery, Hermit, Gray-cheeked and Wood Thrushes. I’ve heard ~100 – 200 calls each morning I’ve listened this week. Recording these calls earlier in the night and filtering them through identification software gives a more scientifically accurate tally of the migration, but I prefer the sensory experience of being physically present when these birds fly over, hearing the urgency of Zugunruhe in their voices, listening to them come down into the surrounding woods, then quietly vanishing for the day.

Rudy Keller
Boyertown, PA
Berks county

Join us on Facebook!