Date: 9/19/19 5:46 pm
From: DAVID KOCH <0000012d74227426-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Flycatchers, hummers, etc., Koch property, Northampton County
As happens on our property when it's hot and humid in September, a lot of the snags hold flycatchers. On the 17th an olive-sided was atop one in the yard, eastern wood pewees were on several others, an eastern phoebe was nearby, a yellow-bellied visited a snag in the fields on the 18th, and both a willow and least made short appearances in the front yard. Ruby-throated hummingbirds continue to use the feeders and flowers, with flowers being the chosen spots as they always are at this time of the year. Their numbers are of course lessening but I'm still seeing three or four of them at the same time. And while I won't list them all, it's been a good season here for warblers.  I've seen at least 12 different species, including Connecticut, prairie, and Wilson's.  Also, I've seen several small broad-winged kettles, both sharpies and Cooper's hunt the fields in early mornings, and two days ago a merlin was on a snag by the driveway. However, I have not as yet seen any major sparrow put-down, although Lincoln's should be showing up any time now.  And in the fields, not the yard, there were  lots of indigo buntings, mostly young ones, and red-eyed vireos around this morning, along with a few scarlet tanagers and rose-breasted grosbeaks.
Arlene Koch Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

Join us on Facebook!