Date: 9/19/19 3:50 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (19 Sep 2019) 157 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 4 4
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 157 26700 26700

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Cherise Charron, Patrick Tomlinson, Steve Wagner

Visitors:
It was a quiet day for us at Demonstration Farms, with quick visits from
Claude Radley and Chip Ogglesby. I also want to thank the work of Steve
Wagner and Patrick Thomlinson and Cherise Charron for spotting raptors out
of the sky.

Weather:
Today was another hot day with a clear blue sky and very little cloud
cover. The wind from the South-East gave us a nice breeze, but not too many
raptors.

Raptor Observations:
We had a slow but steady and constant stream of Sharp-shinned Hawks coming
in for most of the day. Our daily total reached 97 Sharp-shinned Hawks. We
also counted 34 Broad-winged Hawks, most of which came in two's and three's
all day.

Non-raptor Observations:
The sky was very quiet today, we did not count many species or high numbers
of birds at Demonstration Farms. We were excited to count more Blue Jays
and Crows. We did have a steady amount of dragonflies and Monarchs flying
above us all day.

Blue Jays: 27
American Crow: 17
Cedar Waxwing: 29
Killdeer: 10
Red-winged Blackbirds: 95
Black Saddlebags: 40
Common Green Darner: 100
Monarchs: 80

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59935949

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting another day with winds from the South. We are
hoping for a better cloud cover to be able to more easily spot raptors. We
are expecting more Sharp-shinned hawks, as they do not seem to be as
dependent of wind conditions. We can always count on a Sharp-shinned Hawk!
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<15104762c7c2523a623ce90dae662108...>