Date: 9/19/19 3:23 pm
From: L.T. Jaeger <ltjaeger...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] ID help
IMO, this bird can’t be positively identified to species beyond saying it’s an accepter; either a Sharpie or a Cooper’s Hawk as Kent states.

Key marks include tail length relative to the rest of the bird, head shape; location and size of the eye, paleness of the nape (as Kent also mentioned), shape of the end of the tail; size and width of the legs. Not being able to see most of those aspects in the photo, about all that can be done is make a guess based on tail length, which looks longish to me, favoring Cooper’s. But I wouldn’t bet more than $1 on that being correct; again, IMO, this is an “accipiter sp.”

Clay Kempf
Elkhorn