Date: 9/19/19 10:04 am
From: Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] ID help
HI Chris,

This is a difficult one. It is either a Sharp-shinned Hawk or a Cooper's Hawk. Most of the marks we would look for to distinguish them are not clear in this photo. Assuming that the fence is built with standard American dimensional lumber, the board it is standing on is 1.5" thick, which would make the bird about 14" long. That puts it right about the dividing line between a large female Sharp-shinned and a small male Cooper's. It looks like it may have a pale nape, which would support Cooper's, but I I'm not certain given the quality of the photo. Perhaps someone else will see something I am missing, but that is what I can offer.

Kent Johnson
Boulder Creek