Date: 9/18/19 5:42 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (18 Sep 2019) 131 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 131 514 521

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Carol Majors, Gerry Teig, Ron Majors

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Carol Majors, Ron Majors, Howard Campbell, Gerry Teig, Beaty
Broughton, Sue McLaughlin
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny-Partly Sunny (0-50% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 57 - 74F, Winds NE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (61) and Turkey Vultures (69).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-3; 2 yr.-2; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-6
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
I ran into Carol & Ron on the way to “Warbler Meadow” this morning.
They said they were getting warblers already and it was good. I went to
the site to set up and right away could tell that it was “warblery;”
there were 2 Parula Warblers in one our feeder snags! Together we all
drifted towards the meadow where we found numerous American Redstarts,
Black-and-white Warblers, Northern Parula, Magnolia Warblers, and
Chestnut-sided Warblers. The variety ended there, though. We did have a
look [albeit obstructed] at what I felt at the time to be a Yellow-bellied
Flycatcher [my FOY]. Pictures were taken [see above] reviewed later,
showing the bold eyering, olive-green overall color, short tail, whitish
wingbars and yellowish wash underneath its throat and tail. I remain
confident of the ID.
<BR><BR>
It being 72 degrees, Howard was out and with seed for our birds. Howard,
temperature tolerant, is happy with the full range of 72 degrees, but
that’s it! Carol & Ron also contributed to the bird seed. They and I,
thank you my friends [and so does that meadow vole that keeps running out
to select a choice morsel]. At 9:50 Howard saw the first Broad-winged
Hawk. Hmmm, an early riser; a bird after my own heart. The hawk quickly
rose, and with just a few wing flaps, melted into a newly forming kettle of
a dozen birds, still low but getting steadily higher. Those may be that
hawks only flaps for the day, conserving energy using thermals drifting
from one to another. That’s the idea; get to South America with as
little energy expenditure as possible.
<BR><BR>
I wish I could have used less energy myself this morning. The deep blue
sky is real work to look thru. While you can sit back and with shifting
eyes comb thru a cloud-filled sky without binoculars, for the most part,
looking for hawks against a nice background, deep blue skies require
constant scanning with binoculars to find anything. We have 2 “rules”
on such days: scan with binoculars on a regular basis having focused on
infinity and look at all vultures [hawks are often in thermals with them or
in the field of view you look at].
<BR><BR>
Anyway, our blue sky developed very nicely into a perfect white
cloud-filled sky, but the hawks dried up. After a morning full of
Broad-winged Hawks, Sharp-shinned Hawks, Ospreys, and Eagles, among others,
we slipped into just an occasional hawk drifting by.
<BR><BR>
A beautiful male Kestrel caught a Praying Mantis and ate it on our MOTUS
tower. [I reckon that’s one prayer that wasn’t answered] Perhaps the
prayer helped the Mourning Doves who skillfully avoided the Sharp-shinned
Hawk [see picture] that just missed them a while later. Sue and I enjoyed
he real-life drama as it happened.
<BR><BR>
Gerry arrived and claimed he sapped the energy from our day. Me? I blame
Howard. I’ve seen few who can suck the lift out of a thermal better than
Howard. There was plenty of blame to go around. I just know that Beatty
and I were in the clear! [Gotcha guys!]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Swainson’s Thrush, COMMON RAVEN, Brown
Thrasher, Bobolinks, Black-and-white Warbler, American Redstart, Northern
Parula, Magnolia Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, and Blue Grosbeak
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (11): Monarch - 45, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black
Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals
(4): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer, Meadow
Vole.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.29; Steps:
12,411; Floors: 15.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 57; this season:
103
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (3):”
Northern Harrier, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, and Swainson’s Thrush.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like more of the same, but there's not supposed
to be the developing clouds - darn it!
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: