Date: 9/18/19 5:06 pm
From: Beth Kantrowitz <kantrowitz...>
Subject: [MDBirding] West Hyattsville Chimney Swift roost
For the third year in a row, I have located my local Chimney Swift roost at the Crowne Plaza apartments at the intersection of Hamilton Street and 38th Avenue. It is a cluster of several three-story buildings and the chimney is on one central building nearest the parking lot.

I watched about 500 birds enter the smallish chimney tonight from 7:20 to 7:40 pm.

You could stand on the grass in the middle of the parking lot, accessible off Hamilton Street, but I am wary of making the residents aware of the huge biomass of birds in their chimney, though it’s hard to imagine they haven’t noticed.

The best vantage point is across Hamilton Street at the edge of Magruder Park, between the closed Splash Park and the fence around the stream. That’s where I watched from tonight (I’m not usually home early enough, and it will get earlier every day.)

Beth Kantrowitz
Hyattsville, PG County