Date: 9/18/19 11:14 am
From: Sarah Sloane <sloane...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Black-eared Bushtit and OBRC Report

Addendum: I think you’re referring to the “melanotis group” which ranges barely into the Chiso mountains from Mexico and south. It’s divided into 3 subspecies (at least as of 2001 when I pubished my BNA account) only one of which (P. m. dimorphicus) peeks into the US (Chisos Mountains).

Any black-eared forms outside of that narrow range would be P. m. plumbeous which woud be expected in Oregon east of the Cascades. It’s the “black[ear” morph that’s so unusual this far north. And that is an occassional trait of plumbeous athough never seen so far north.

As far as I know.

Sarah

> On Sep 18, 2019, at 6:23 AM, Sarah Sloane <sloane...> <mailto:<sloane...>> wrote:
>
> No. The black-eared form is a variant of plumbeous and is not a separate subspecies.
>

>> On Sep 18, 2019, at 2:42 AM, Tim Janzen <tjanzen...> <mailto:<tjanzen...>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Hendrik and Chuck,
>> The National Geographic field guide says that the black eared forms are in the subspecies dimorphicus/melanotis. So I do believe that they are considered a separate subspecies.
>> Sincerely,
>> Tim Janzen

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Dr Sarah A. Sloane