Date: 9/17/19 8:57 pm
From: <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] American Crow reports from Ten Mile Dunes....
In recent weeks there have been two reports of American Crows out in the
dunes at Ten Mile.

My personal experience and from what I can recall having spoken with (via
e mails) someone locally who happens to know these things -- has been that
there have been **under** fifty reported accounts of American Crows on the
Mendocino coast. (I think I got #24, 25 & 26 out of those)... I have hiked
in those dunes off and on since 1986. Of the three American Crows I saw
(one of which I photographed), 2 were in town (Fort Bragg). One on the
street I used to live on (photographed), one over by Safeway, (heard
calling and saw flying) and another out north of town calling from
MacKerricher State Park.

What I want to point out is that Common Ravens go through a rather
scruffy-looking molt.... these 'teenagers' and even some of the adults,
don't appear the have their feathery leggings (or pantaloons), and the ruff
of feathers at their throats don't seem as pronounced this time of year,
either.

Things have a way of becoming perceptually distorted out on that beach and
in the dunes.... things can appear larger or smaller.... gulls flying past
sometimes look like albatross, and ravens look smaller than normal.... the
vastness of the place is what does it.... and it happens to everyone

Noticed that there was not one mention of Common Ravens on either report.

Happy Birding!

Lisa D Walker-Roseman, Fort Bragg

Listowners: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-owner...>
Turn off email delivery: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)