Date: 9/17/19 4:49 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (17 Sep 2019) 12970 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 12970 26458 26458

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Chuck Sharbaugh, Ed Pitts, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent,
Jeremy Bensette, Larry Ludwicki, Patrick Tomlinson,
Steve Wagner

Visitors:
News of good hawks movement has spread and we welcomed many visitors and
counters. Thank you to all who came and helped to spot a kettle forming in
the sky. Thank you to Chuck Sharbough, Steve Wagner, Patrick Thomlinson, Ed
Pitts, Larry Ludwicki, Bob and Margaret Milles, Rick Andrews, Mark and
Roberta Buchanan, Kory Renaud, Noel and Juliette, Jeremy Bensette, Olga and
Roland, and Michelle.

Weather:
Another really nice day for hawk watching, starting with low clouds and a
cool mornings. The wind stayed North-East all day for the entire day. We
were thankful for the clouds in the morning as they brought the hawks
closer to us, but they dissipated in late afternoon leaving us with more
blue sky and a warm day.

Raptor Observations:
Another successful day for us the Demonstration farm with a daily total of
12,970 raptors! We started with Sharp-shinned hawks, counting 204 today and
then came the Broad-winged Hawks! Our daily total was 12,588 today!! They
came in massive kettles, very close to us because of the low clouds, so
close we could easily count them with the naked eye. We also counted many
Red-Tailed hawks 28, Turkey Vultures (689, and Kestrels (39).

Non-raptor Observations:
Not much bird action in the morning, but we did count 4 American Pitpit.
Our attention was mostly on Monarchs again as we counted 1,800 in the first
hour of counting. At the end of the day, we finished with 7,600
butterflies! At the end of the day, the Common Green Darners also came for
a visit.

American Pitpit: 4
American Goldfinch: 80
Cedar Waxwings: 118
Black Saddlebags: 115
Common Green darner: 250
Monarch: 7,600

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59885569

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting a hot and sunny day with winds from the East in
the morning, shifting to the South-East in the afternoon. We might not see
numbers as high as today's but we can still hope for a few kettles of
Broad-winged, more Sharp-shinned hawks and Kestrels.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<007b6a13dcdd662d8e876a12109bfdac...>