Date: 9/17/19 3:47 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (16 Sep 2019) 104 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 104 357 364

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Deb Kirchdoerfer, Dirk Robinson

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Dirk Robinson, Deb Kirchdoerfer, Beaty Broughton
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (50-75% cloud cover), Ceiling --22,900-7,100 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 64 - 84F, Winds NW-SW @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (67) and Turkey Vultures (58).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
Things started out with promise today at Bucktoe. Deb, Beaty and Dirk were
out early when a Raven flew silently by. A Broad-winged Hawk was up in the
developing thermals at 10:47am our hopes for a strong flight rising with
it. It’s getting to be the right time, but it was not today. The sky
was held a nice array of background clouds, the wind was right, and we had
our season’s strongest flight with several small kettles, but it was not
“the big one.” Our highest day has been on September 22 for each of
the last two years, when many thousands of these hawks have flown past each
day. That’s only 6 days away! Today we saw nearly 100. These next few
days have the chance to be among the most exciting of the year. You should
be here to witness it.
<BR><BR>
Deb brought me a delicious apple. Thanks Deb, that too, was exciting!
Speaking of excitement, our season’s first Palm Warbler was around the
feeders. There will be very many more of these to follow.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Great Blue Herons, COMMON RAVEN, Brown Thrashers, Bobolink, Palm Warbler,
and Blue Grosbeak
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 38, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Variegated
Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags,
Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 2.85; Steps:
6,680; Floors: 91.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season:
100
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Palm
Warbler.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks REALLY GOOD, if we hold onto some background
clouds, with the advancing date and proper winds.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek