Date: 9/16/19 6:40 pm
From: 'Steve Jerant' via Birders <birders...>
Subject: [birders] Haehnle Sanctuary Crane Count 09/16/2019
Well, we may not have had a lot of cranes tonight but we saw lots of monarch butterflies. They continually flew into our field of vision while we were scanning the marsh with our scopes.

The habitat restoration that has been done behind the kiosk is providing a nice spot for songbirds. Most of the songbirds in the species list below were observed there.

Our blackbird count is obviously an estimate but is indicator of the massive numbers we saw tonight. We had fly bys from both sides of the overlook as well as the normal traffic from the west. Egrets continue to come in along with herons.

eBird checklist is available at: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59864620
Crane counters: Gary Siegrist, Ross Green, & Steve Jerant
Compiler: Steve Jerant
Submitted by Steve Jerant
Crane Count: 10 (63 observed in the area)
Species count: 34
15 Canada Goose
40 Wood Duck
40 Mallard
5 Mourning Dove
2 Common Nighthawk
73 Sandhill Crane -- 10 stayed in marsh
1 Killdeer
1 Wilson's Snipe
4 Great Blue Heron
7 Great Egret
12 Turkey Vulture
2 Northern Harrier
1 eagle sp. -- About one mile away. Unable to verify which type but flight profile was eagle.
1 Red-bellied Woodpecker
1 Hairy Woodpecker
1 Northern Flicker
1 Eastern Wood-Pewee
1 Eastern Phoebe
3 Blue Jay
2 American Crow
1 Barn Swallow
1 White-breasted Nuthatch
1 House Wren
1 Gray Catbird
200 American Robin
25 Cedar Waxwing
3 American Goldfinch
2 Field Sparrow
2 Song Sparrow
4000 Red-winged Blackbird
1 Brown-headed Cowbird
300 Common Grackle
1 Common Yellowthroat
1 Northern Cardinal
1 Indigo Bunting

Number of Taxa: 35

You can view past postings and historical crane counting data at
Haehnle site at http://www.haehnlesanctuary.org/crane-count and
JAS Blog page at http://jacksonaudubon.org/

Best Regards,
Steve Jerant