Date: 9/16/19 4:26 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (16 Sep 2019) 12057 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 12057 13488 13488

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Carol Pitts, Ed Pitts, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent, Jim McCoy,
Len Jones, Patrick Tomlinson, Steve Wagner

Visitors:
We had a lot of eyes on the sky today and thank you to all who visited an
lent a hand!
Thank you to Chuck Sharbough from Michigan, George Novosel from Ohio, Jim
McCoy, Len Jones, Maureen, Ed and Carol Pitts, Steve Wagner and Patrick
Thomlinson from Ohio and Cherise for all their hard work today!
We had a visit from Nina and a gorgeous female Northern Harrier who was
adopted by Chuck.

Weather:
Today was another very hot and humid day, with very little wind. The wind
that did reach us was from the North and did brings us a lot of raptors.
Most of the day was overcast, making it easier for us to spot and count all
the hawks.

Raptor Observations:
What a day! The Broad-winged hawks came for a visit! Within two hours we
counted 11,762 Broad-wings in several massive kettles, they just kept
appearing, what an incredible sight!
We also counted over 158 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 47 Kestrels, 17 Northern
Harriers, 17 Bald Eagles 18 Red-tailed hawks, and 10 Merlins. Busy day!

Non-raptor Observations:
Today was also all about the insects. In the morning, we counted a few
thousand Monarchs, and again in the last hour of counting, we had another
eruption of Monarch migration over our heads, ending with a daily count of
8,250 Monarch butterflies. Again, in the last few hours, the dragonflies
came out to play, with swarms of darners in the sky. At the end of the day
we had counted 283 Black Saddlebags dragonflies and 2,500 Common Green
Darner Dragonflies.

Killdeer: 40
Chimney Swift: 29
Red-winged Blackbird: 311
Blue Jays: 27
Black Saddlebags: 283
Common Green Darner: 2,500
Monarch: 8,250

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59861005

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting another hot day with winds from the North-East.
We hope for more kettles of Broad-winged hawks, let's beat today's numbers!

We will most likely be counting at the Demonstration Farm tomorrow for
those who want to come down.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<dee72e5cff622313241955fe0b8dd579...>