Date: 9/16/19 12:16 pm
From: Will Richardson <t.will.richardson...> [sierra-nevadabirds] <sierra-nevadabirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SierraNevadaBirds] Tahoe LT Jaeger/Sabine's
We’ve had a couple of days of gusty winds, so this morning, with dark rain clouds looming, I stopped off at Lake Forest Beach (1 mi. east of Tahoe City) for about 20 min. of “sea watch” before the rains started. I was rewarded with two Sabine’s Gulls, one Long-tailed Jaeger, a couple of Forster’s Terns, and a few other terns that were too far out to guess.

Also, back in the Glenshire neighborhood of Truckee, I’ve been building a fence during spare half-days over weekends, and it brought me two new yard birds this week. We had an imm. Black-chinned Hummingbird at my feeder for a couple of days, and then on Saturday a Peregrine came by for a brief, but vocal, visit. The Peregrine may have been from the Glenshire pair that successfully fledged young back in the first half of July. I co-led a bird walk around Martis Cr. Reservoir on 7/18, and we had 3-4 Peregrines interacting overhead for some of it, presumably from that same nest.

Will Richardson
Truckee, CA

T. Will Richardson, Ph.D.
Executive Director