Date: 9/16/19 6:29 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (15 Sep 2019) 29 Raptors

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (23): Joel, Lafang & George Flachs, Rodger Bovenkerk, Gerry Teig,
Beaty Broughton, Deb Adelberg [Kirchdoerfer], Hank Davis, Carolyn Holland,
Heidi Raimato, Dirk Robinson, Adam Bartles, Dennis Davis, Colleen Del
Monte, Lana Glass, Carol & Ron Majors, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Al Guarante,
Laureen Eick-Benson, Harvey Rubenstein, Ray McBride
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy-Sunny (100-0% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 2,000-30,000 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 68 - 83F, Winds NNW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (68) and Turkey Vultures (66).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-6
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On September 12,
I sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format -
a newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
The weekly bird walk was first this morning at Bucktoe. I joined the group
for the first hour. 15 participants saw 48 species including Least
Flycatcher, Yellow-billed Cuckoos, Least Flycatcher, Eastern Phoebe, Brown
Thrasher, Black-and-white Warblers, American Redstarts, Northern Parula,
Magnolia Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, and
Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
While back at the Hawk Watch, at 10:07 a Broad-winged Hawk was found
circling with a couple of Black Vultures. I thought that foretold a good
day. In fact, it did not. We saw but 5 more.
<BR><BR>
Joel, Lafang & George were here and with gifts of food. How did they know
that gifts of food and drink are welcome and, in fact, encouraged here at
Bucktoe? Thanks guys! Our forecasted 10% cloud cover quickly turned into
0% cloud cover – the bain of we hawk watchers.
<BR><BR>
Deb showed up, carrying everything she’d need for an exciting day of hawk
watching. Chair, foods for when hunger struck, hat to shield her face from
the damage wrought by long periods of time in the sun; she was prepared.
Her arrival time? 2:58pm. The hawk watch ending time? 3pm! That’s
right, fully two minutes before I was to leave! You know Deb, if I were
you I’d have passed on the hat, risking the rigors of a full two minutes
in the sun! Her sister, Elaine, is very much the same way with regards to
time. I’ll tell you, there are a couple of nuts that didn’t roll far
apart down the hill from the chestnut tree. You’ve joined the list of
blogging victims, my dear Deb & Elaine. Congratulations, it is well
deserved! [gotcha guys!]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Lesser Yellowlegs, Great Blue Herons, Green Heron,
Least Flycatcher, Eastern Phoebe, Brown Thrasher, Bobolinks,
Black-and-white Warblers, American Redstarts, Northern Parula, Magnolia
Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, and Blue
Grosbeaks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 34, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Black
Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Variegated
Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags,
Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 9.31; Steps:
21,844; Floors: 190.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 65; this season:
99
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (4):”
Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Lesser Yellowlegs, Green Heron, and Least Flycatcher
.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks partly Sunny with light winds and lots of
background clouds. Could be good..
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: