Date: 9/15/19 3:58 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (15 Sep 2019) 171 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 1
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 171 1431 1431

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Andy Parsons, Bob Hall-Brooks, Bob Pettit, Elizabeth Kent,
Hugh Kent, Larry Ludwicki

Visitors:
Since we changed locations and are not as obvious to find today, we did not
get any visitors.
However, we want to thank our counters today Bob Pettit, Andy Parsons,
Larry Ludwicki. and Bob Hall-Brooks. A special thank you to Bob Hall-Brooks
for bringing along a tent to keep us out of the rain.

Weather:
Today was cold and gloomy with rain on and off all day and winds coming
from the South and South-West. In the last hour, the sun came out to say
hello and brought us a few more hawks.

Raptor Observations:
Today was a day of the Sharp-shinned Hawks. Despite the rain and southerly
winds, we counted 132 Sharp-shinned hawks. We also counted 26 Kestrels,
three Merlins and two Red-tailed hawks.

Non-raptor Observations:
Being unable to access the park and the tower again today, we set up shop
just East of the park gate in a Demonstration Farm, with a very good view
of the sky and of passing raptors. However, we did not have as much success
with warblers. We counted over 20 Jays and over 600 Red-winged blackbirds!

Blue Jays: 27
Red-winged Blackbirds: 654
Tree Swallows: 347
Starlings: 220
Cedar Waxwings: 254
Goldfinch: 128
Killdeer: 38
Monarchs: 39

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59834723

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we are expecting a beautiful day with highs around 26 degrees
Celsius and winds with a Northern component. Hopefully, these will bring us
more hawks, particularly kettles of Broad-winged Hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<c4bca73b02fe00f2a789c50c0f116b8a...>