Date: 9/15/19 1:01 pm
From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...>
Subject: [obol] Bonney Butte - Saturday
OBOL folks

The Oregon Birding Association field trip to Bonney Butte scheduled for today (9/5) was canceled due to weather. The 100% probability of rain was a dealbreaker. (it turns out to be very good prediction with heavy rain just now in Portland.). Most of the attendees were unable to change dates at such short notice. I could not resist going up for the day.

What a beautiful mild day with a steady flight of migrating raptors. Many of the birds were flying high and to the west so distant. Most of the more common species were seen including: Bald Eagle, Red-tailed Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Merlin, Osprey, and Turkey Vultures. This even included a good number of my favorite raptor, the “unidentified Accipiter”! Four of the birds captured for banding were brought to the observation area for close viewing (and photos). I did not keep a detailed count for each species.

On my return down the access road, I flushed a Goshawk in dense conifers, for a couple of brief but diagnostic looks. The location was about 1/4 mile south of Bonney Creek (Hood River Co,).

Some photos at: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGXR1LE <https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGXR1LE>

All the best
Ken Chamberlain
@Portland