Date: 9/14/19 7:35 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (14 Sep 2019) 104 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 104 1362 1362

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:30:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Kevin Georg, Patrick Mulawa,
Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
Saturday was a good day for visitors and we had pleasant interactions with
people that were new to the concept of hawk counting. It's always good to
show people just how much is happening in nature. Not just the hawks but
the other species that are in constant struggles for survival.

Weather:
A day that started with sunshine, morphed to substantial clouds for a few
hours and then back to sunshine. Throughout these transitions in the cloud
coverage a persistently fresh wind with a mostly W component blew in the
face of those brave enough to migrate today. Barometer was high most of the
day but tailed off late a little.

Raptor Observations:
"And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout; But there is
no joy in Mudville for...." It seemed like a strikeout today with no buteos
to speak of. The fifty+ sharp-shinneds, and twelve kestrels that made the
effort were buffeted by the winds changing their flight habits and making
them harder to ID. We did have twenty three broad-wings but well spread
out. Four red-tails were spotted as well. Better days are coming.

Non-raptor Observations:
Lots of gulls hawking insects today provided enough flak to be a mild
annoyance. One of the broad-winged hawks that came over solo was seen
extending talons to capture a possible dragonfly. We always wonder how they
eat during migration given the huge flocks that they sometimes travel in.
Perhaps they snack along the way.

Predictions:
Although tomorrow is forecast to look pleasant enough, the barometer and
wind direction might be challenging to migration. Barometer should be
falling throughout the day with a strong SW wind. Of course, given the fact
that almost no forecast has yet followed the script, we should be
overwhelmed with birds tomorrow:)
Report submitted by Kevin Georg (<kevin.l.georg...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<e0a152506f206240df3002da673cff76...>